Which Pyrex casserole dish is the best?
In 1915, Corning Inc. introduced an all-new line of transparent shatterproof glass baking dishes. These cookware were less likely to crack or explode under extreme temperature changes. They used it to develop the well-known Pyrex cookware. Today, Pyrex casseroles are made of soda lime glass, stoneware and metal. You can find them in both professional and amateur kitchens.
For cooks who need a durable dish that is ideal for sides and small households, the Pyrex Easy-Grab Glass Casserole with Lid is the best choice.
What you need to know before buying a Pyrex casserole dish
Open stock against a set
If you are just starting to equip your kitchen, it may be easier to purchase a complete set of cookware. However, if all you need is a pan or storage space is tight, you may not want the extra pieces that come with a set.
If you choose to go with individual pieces, consider which size best suits your needs. Some Pyrex pan recipes measure quantity in liters, while other recipes measure in inches. Pay attention to what kind of meals you cook frequently and how much you tend to make. This will help you find the best selection for your kitchen.
Rectangle, circle or square?
Believe it or not, the best shape of pan depends on what you plan to make and how many people you are serving.
- Rectangle: It’s best for cooking lasagna, casseroles, roasts and cakes in a rectangular dish, and it’s suitable for larger households.
- Circle: Circles work well for soups, stews, and grain dishes. They can serve two to six people and are usually measured in quarters.
- Square: Use a square casserole dish to create the same delicious treats you make in a rectangle, but on a smaller scale.
What to Look for in a Quality Pyrex Casserole
Pyrex is famous for its wide, easy-to-grip handles. With more surface area to cling to, you’re less likely to lose your grip.
Some Pyrex casserole dishes come with lids. This makes them more versatile for cooking, serving and storing food.
- Glass: Most glass lids use high quality shatterproof glass and have handles molded into the lid.
- Plastic: Plastic lids close tightly to preserve food and odors inside the container. These are BPA free and dishwasher safe.
- Combination: Some lids are made from a combination of Pyrex glass and oven-safe silicone. They are great for travel and food storage.
Microwave and dishwasher safe
Pyrex is safe and easy to use in the microwave. However, be careful of hot surfaces when handling it, especially at the bottom of the dish. They are also easy to clean, as most are dishwasher safe.
Oven and freezer safe
You can safely use Pyrex in the oven up to 450 degrees. On the other end of the spectrum, you can also use Pyrex to freeze casseroles for later use.
How Much You Can Expect to Spend on a Pyrex Casserole
The price varies depending on the size of the dish, if it comes with a lid and if it is part of a set. You can expect to spend between $15 and $85 for high-quality Pyrex casserole dishes.
Pyrex Casserole FAQ
Can Pyrex explode on the counter?
A. Although Pyrex is resistant to the effects of thermal shock, a hot casserole can burst if you place it directly on a cold surface after taking it out of the oven. To stay safe in the kitchen, follow these tips:
- Avoid sudden temperature changes: The newer Pyrex made of soda-lime glass is less resistant to large temperature variations.
- Allow to cool in the dishwasher: Avoid removing a hot casserole dish from the dishwasher and placing it on the counter. For added safety, allow the glass to cool completely in the dishwasher.
- Do not use Pyrex on the stovetop: It is not designed to withstand direct heat.
- Use a wooden trivet: The wooden trivet absorbs heat without changing the temperature.
- Beware of liquids: Do not add hot liquid to a cold dish or vice versa.
How do I remove stuck-on food?
A. Since Pyrex is dishwasher safe, most cookware only needs a quick run through the dishwasher to be clean. However, if you end up with stuck-on, stubborn food, soak your Pyrex in warm, soapy water and use a scrub brush to remove it.
What is the best Pyrex casserole dish to buy?
Top Pyrex casserole dish
Pyrex Easy-Grab Glass Casserole with Lid
What do you want to know: This durable and versatile workhorse is ideal for small households. It is also ideal when you have limited storage space.
What you will love: It’s a 2-quart casserole that’s perfect for making delicious sides. The handles are wide and comfortable and are very easy to use.
What you should consider: If you feed a lot of people, it will be too small. Plus, the larger handles take up extra storage space.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Top Pyrex casserole dish for the price
Pyrex Basics Clear Oblong Glass Baking Dishes
What do you want to know: Start your Pyrex collection with this durable two-piece set.
What you will love: You will get two dishes: one dish measures 13 inches by 9 inches and the other measures 11 inches by 7 inches. They have wide handles for a firm grip and nest inside each other for easy storage. The set comes with a two-year warranty.
What you should consider: Some users felt that these seemed less substantial than older Pyrex models.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Worth checking out
Pyrex Portable Glass Bakeware
What do you want to know: It’s the perfect set for potlucks and picnics.
What you will love: This 3-quart saucepan set comes with a portable cooler bag and a BPA-free plastic lid. The lid fits securely to prevent spills, and both the glass dish and lid are backed by a two-year limited warranty.
What you should consider: It’s an expensive choice, but if you travel frequently with food, it’s a solid investment.
Or buy: Sold by Amazon
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out the daily deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter for helpful tips on new products and great deals.
Suzannah Kolbeck writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their buying decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.