Australian cook and TikTok star Daen Lia is best known for Daen’s Kitchen which specializes in simple yet delicious meals inspired by its Italian and Spanish heritage.
Her most popular dish, Crispy Potatoes in Garlic Butter, has gone viral with over 28 million views on TikTok alone.
See more in the video player above
Watch The Morning Show on Channel 7 and stream it for free on 7plus >>
Lia joined The morning show to demonstrate how to prepare another dish, confit garlic, which was also very popular among his legion of followers.
CRISPY POTATOES WITH GARLIC BUTTER
1.5 kg small white potatoes
1 head of garlic
100g Westgold unsalted butter
2 tablespoons of olive oil
· salt and pepper
finely chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Cut off the top of the garlic head and place it in a small ovenproof pan with a lid or on a sheet of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Let cool slightly and squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins. Put aside.
3. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with very salty cold water. Over high heat, cook for 30 minutes or until tender enough for a skewer to be pushed into the middle. Start your timer as soon as you place the potatoes on the stove, not when the water is brought to a boil.
4. Drain the potatoes in a colander and place them in the refrigerator to evaporate all the moisture. You can pat them dry with a paper towel, but it’s extremely important that they are dry and free of any residual moisture.
5. In a deep dish over low heat, combine butter and olive oil until melted. Add roasted garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes or until all ingredients are well combined. Remove from the heat and toss the potatoes in the butter sauce.
6. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly distribute the potatoes on them, leaving plenty of space around each potato. Using a tumbler or potato masher, press down on the potatoes, keeping them intact. Depending on your preference, you can mash them quite finely, which will give you a crispier potato, or mash them lightly, which will give you a chewier interior. Both are delicious!
7. Drizzle the potatoes with the remaining butter sauce and bake for 30-35 minutes at 200°C or until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
8. Sprinkle with a little fleur de sel and finely chopped parsley and serve immediately.
6 heads of garlic
3 cups of Rich Glen olive oil
6 sprigs of thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 120C.
2. Peel the garlic by breaking the cloves and placing them in a heatproof bowl. Plunge into boiling water for 5 minutes and drain. The skin will become loose and easy to peel.
3. Place the garlic cloves and thyme in a baking dish and cover completely with olive oil. It is important that the garlic is completely immersed in the oil so that it does not burn. Bake for 2 hours or until the garlic is golden.
4. Cool and store in an airtight container or jar for up to several weeks in the refrigerator.