I love watermelon. My boys can’t get enough fruit. Besides just eating slices, I thought we’d try a watermelon salad recipe. This sweet and savory is so fresh and easy to prepare.
The flavor combination may seem odd at first, but it’s delicious. It’s the perfect side dish to bring to a potluck or summer barbecue or a Mother’s Day brunch or lunch. Personally, I think it’s delicious without the dressing (or with just a drizzle of balsamic glaze or vinegar), but the dressing is delicious if you want to include it. You can even grill watermelon for this salad!
Type of cuisine: American
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
Total duration: 10 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 to 4 cups fresh spinach or romaine lettuce
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes (rind removed)
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries (or berries of your choice)
- 1/2 cup blackberries (or berries of your choice)
- 2/3 cup feta cheese or crumbled goat cheese (I prefer feta)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (I personally skip the onion but most people seem to like it)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish (optional)
Lime and Honey Vinaigrette
Here’s how to do it:
- Arrange the green vegetables in a large salad bowl. Garnish with watermelon, cucumber and berries. Add onion and mint, if desired.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once well mixed, pour over the salad (add the dressing just before serving). Top with cheese and mix. Garnish with mint leaves, if desired.
To note: If you store the salad in a covered container in the refrigerator, it should stay fresh (without dressing) for one to two days.
Need help converting baking and baking measurements? Here are some practices kitchen conversion charts.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on facebook to get daily recipes in your News Feed. Inspire and be inspired.
Related products on Amazon that we think you might like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by connecting with Amazon.com and affiliate sites.